Monday, November 15, 2010

Texas Deficit

After reading a couple of my classmates’ blogs one caught my attention, it is Moderate with an Iron Fist blog. My classmate’s commentary titled “Unwanted Belief” is based on a very important issue that Texas will have a $25-30 billion dollar deficit in 2011. I think his intended audience is all Texas residents because this will affect everyone, working people, poor, students, etc. His commentary is very straight forward, a good explanation of the issue he is introducing and his solution for the problem. In his commentary he explains how different agencies have to cut their budget and that this will cause the loss of many jobs and will lead to a rise in unemployment. He also mentions how students will be affected, this part is very important for me because I receive financial aid. I rely on financial aid to pay for my education and next semester I will attend the University of Texas at Austin and I will need more financial aid. I believe I am not the only one in this situation and many others are worried about what will happen next year with the cuts the governments are planning to make. I agree with the author, “We need to raise taxes to help reduce at least half of our deficit as the [Legislature] finds alternative solutions to our current problem.” I don’t know if that’s the best solution to fix the problem but it sounds like a good start until government finds a better solution. I prefer to pay a little more taxes than face a problem like California is facing or worse than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment